A MESSAGE FROM Sahitya
Hi! My name is Sahitya Mandalapu. I’m 23 years old and have a goal to raise $3,000 for Citymeals on Wheels and a goal to run 26.2 miles. I'll also be dedicating my run to my late grandfathers, both of whom we lost this past January.
For those of you who know me, I’m passionate about food, community, and running. Last year, my best friend Jill and I combined these 3 shared passions and created a race/fundraiser called Philly Fights Hunger to benefit Philabundance, a nonprofit with a mission to end food insecurity in the Philadelphia community.
This year I find myself in a new community (New York City!!!) but with the same passions. I’ve decided to run the NYC Marathon on November 6th, 2022 and to raise money for Citymeals on Wheels, which provides meals and deliveries to nearly 20,000 homebound elderly New Yorkers. More than 38 million Americans lack reliable access to nutritious meals. Citymeals tackles this issue in a number of different ways, and has provided over 65 million meals to our most vulnerable neighbors over the last 40 years.
A few ways that Citymeals tackles food insecurity and supports the elderly:
- They prepare and deliver meals daily in all 5 boroughs
- The Friendly Visiting program trains and matches volunteers with lonely older New Yorkers in need of companionship, offering weekly visits and lasting friendship. I was extremely close to my grandfathers and know how much they appreciated when I or any visitors dropped by for much-needed interaction
- The Mobile Food Pantry delivers food staples to those who are unable to purchase groceries
- They've provided emergency relief during times like Hurricane Sandy and the Covid-19 pandemic, and have opened the Joan and Bob Tisch Emergency Meal Distribution Center in Hunts Point
- They work with community-based partners to accelerate local action to fight hunger
100% of funds raised by Team Citymeals runners will go directly to the preparation and delivery of meals. I'm so proud to partner with Citymeals on Wheels and from the bottom of my heart - I appreciate any support you’re able to give.
Photos & Videos